These are interesting towns and places through which the race crosses in stage 2 of Navarra Women’s Elite Classics
A thousand things can be said about Pamplona, but we will highlight a few. On the one hand, that the citadel is the oldest pentagonal fortification in the world. It dates from the year 1571 and was ordered to be built by Felipe II, who said that Pamplona was “the key to Spain”, referring to the strategic position of our city so important to defend the entrance to the Pyrenees. 15% of the urban surface are green areas made up of parks and gardens, inspired by different landscape styles: French gardens such as La Taconera, an English-style park in the case of the Vuelta del Castillo, of Japanese inspiration for Yamaguchi and a university campus in the purest American style in the case of the University of Navarra. Three rivers pass through Pamplona: the Arga, the Ultzama and the Sadar,
There are remains of a castle-palace that had two functions. On the one hand, monitor the Carrascal pass, southern access from the Pamplona Basin to the capital. It is located on a hill as a watchtower. On the other hand, it was built more as a residential palace during the Champagne dynasty, highly influenced by the French architecture of the time and with all the luxury of decorations, ceramic slabs from the Champagne region commissioned from the workshops of that area, circular turrets in the corners in the style of those of Olite, two chimneys to heat the rooms and a system of stairs that are boxed between wall and wall to connect the ground floor with the first floor. Today, Tiebas has four walking paths, Nordic walking type, which consist of joining Tiebas with Guerendiáin, Tiebas with Unzué, Tiebas with Muruarte and Tiebas with Bells. Two of these paths are of easy difficulty (blue color), another of medium difficulty (green color) and another more difficult (black color). They are routes with hardly any unevenness, so the difficulty is measured according to the distance to be covered.
El municipio está compuesto por dos concejos: Biurrun donde se encuentra la capital del municipio y Olcoz. Además también se encuentran otros tres lugares habitados dentro del concejo de Biurrun: Biurrun, Estación Biurrun-Campanas y Fundación Ondarra.
Este municipio nació en la década de 1920 por la fusión de los municipios de Biurrun y Olcoz, que pasaron a ser concejos del nuevo municipio.
The name of this town has a very particular name: they call themselves tirapucos. Formerly it had some salt flats (or as they said in this area, salt flats) that had to give a fairly good quality salt, but they stopped working in the 70s, so they were abandoned because they were not profitable. But for more than 900 years (they have been documented since the year 1100) many residents of the town and Valdizarbe were employed in the summer.
Between the walls of Artajona, a small town of about 1,700 inhabitants in the Middle Zone halfway between Puente la Reina and Tafalla , there is a lot of history that will take you back to the Middle Ages; times of territorial conquests and marriages of convenience, in which the town became a wedding gift from King García Ramírez to his wife, Doña Urraca.
PUENTE LA REINA
Puente la Reina, “crossroads”, a medieval town where the two main routes of the Camino de Santiago merge, is one of the most meaningful enclaves of Compostela in Navarra.
The continuous flow of pilgrims, shells and walking sticks are part of the urban landscape of this town, a magnificent example of a “town-street”, located 24 kilometers from Pamplona.
Walking through its cobbled streets Crucifix and Mayor becomes a pleasant exercise that will allow you to discover architectural jewels such as the churches of the Crucifico, Santiago and San Pedro, and beautiful buildings dotted with details of Jacobean influence.
EL PERDÓN MOUNTAIN
The name in both Basque and Spanish has a meaning behind it, both related to the Camino de Santiago, which crosses the mountains from one side to the other, communicating the Pamplona Basin with Valdizarbe. Regarding the origin of the name, on the slope that goes up to the mountain there is a small fountain that, for a long time, has been known as Fuente Reniega ; According to legend, in the place of this fountain the Devil appeared in the form of a handsome young man . A tired and thirsty pilgrim, who was walking along the road to Puente la Reina, came across the Devil in the form of a young man. He offered her a drink of fresh water in exchange for denying God. However, the pilgrim’s faith was greater than the desire to drink, so he rejected the offer. The demon wanted to go down a step, and again tempted him with water, but this time he had to deny the Virgin Mary
The Camino de Santiago passes through this town before facing the last slope towards Alto del Perdón. The church is usually open throughout the day and has a small but high-quality altarpiece.
Galar is a Basque toponym that means dead tree, as in the cases of Galarreta and Galarza.